Name five places that fall into the following categories:
1) Favorite Destination -- someplace you've visited once or often and would gladly go again
2) Unfavorite Destination -- someplace you wish you had never been (and why)
3) Fantasy Destination -- someplace to visit if cost and/or time did not matter
4) Fictional Destination -- someplace from a book or movie or other art or media form you would love to visit, although it exists only in imagination
5) Funny Destination -- the funniest place name you've ever visited or want to visit
-------------
1. A Favorite Destination, somewhere I've been once or often and where I'd gladly go again. Hmmm. Several things come to mind.
First thing I thought of was Guatemala. I really enjoyed my 4 weeks there in the summer of 2004. I would like to go back to Antigua - the cobblestone streets, the colorful buildings, the Marimba music, the volcanoes in the distance, the arch, the weavers selling their colorful wares. I'd be interested in visiting the area around Lake Atitlan again. Definitely would go back to the Mayan Ruins in Tikal. My memories of doing that seem so surreal, like a dream... did I really go there and do that? Doing the extra hike in the morning to see the sunrise from Temple IV was probably a once in a lifetime experience. To see the grand plaza and think about the past, what it must have been like there, was awe inspiring.



Another place is Yosemite. Love it, love it. Big fan of waterfalls and it's just beautiful there. Have only been there a few times. I still can't believe I hiked to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls by myself. The 4 hours it took me to get up there was worth it. The 2 or so hours to get back down also worth it. Hiking up the mist trail by vernal fall and getting drenched also unforgettable. New York. I thought it would feel cold, hard, too busy. But it didn't. I was there to visit a school so it was a quick trip and I didn't really get to sightsee. I'd like to go back so I might actually get to Central Park, or do some other traditional, touristy New York type things.
Lastly, home, San Diego. I am truly spoiled to have grown up there and call Southern California home. It's beautiful, lots to see and do, and of course my family is there. I love driving down Ingraham Street across the bridges with different views of the Mission Bay area and to drive along Riviera Drive and see people rowing, sailing, and windsurfing. Drive down Pacific Beach Drive and walk a few blocks to the boardwalk with all it's hustle and bustle of walkers, skateboarders, cyclists, rollerbladers, etc. Watch the surfers carrying their boards out and get an iced coffee from the little cantina on the boardwalk. Great place to people-watch. Also the San Diego Zoo. I go there, usually with my mom and my camera most trips home.



2. Unfavorite Destination: Wow... off the top of my head I can't think of a place I've been that I wish I'd never been to, although there's bound to be one.
3. Fantasy Destination: Several... Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, Ireland. A good friend is getting married in France this summer, so I might actually get to cross some parts of Europe off the list. I'd also like to go to places my ancestors came from, to see if I look like the people and just get a sense of that family history: England, Germany, Sweden and Norway. I'd also like to go back to Central America. Since I've done Guatemala and Honduras I'd like to try Costa Rica. Also the Carribean is supposed to be nice. Wouldn't have to twist my arm to go to a tropical, beachy place. :)
4. Fictional Destination: Ooh, how about the place in the Lorax with the Truffula trees? Or one of the Elven cities in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Hogwart's school of witchcraft and wizardry - it'd be fun to see the moving staircases and the talking paintings, ride a broom and have an owl bring me mail. I'd like to go to Douglas Adams' Restaurant at the End of the Universe for a meal and watch the show.
5. Funniest place. This was tough. I know I've seen weird place names while driving around the country. None come to mind. I did go to "Hope" Arkansas for gas on my latest road trip, it was the city where President Bill Clinton was born. Also Devil's Postpile was a place we went as part of a family trip and I've been to once as an adult. devils postpile
3 comments:
Hey - thanks for dropping by my blog!
And... Ireland would be a place I would LOVE to go also. You have traveled much more than I have!
What great photos!
I love the pictures of where you've been. I envy you those trips. Glad you visited me, and it was fun to read about all your fantasy trips.
Post a Comment