Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Answering, "why aren't you married?"

About answering the question, "Why aren't you married?" Or also as a single person in their late 30's who is on track for the priesthood I also get the "can you get married" and "do you want to get married" questions.

On the MSN home page there was an article advertised on snappy answers to the question "why aren't you married yet?" Being single and having gotten this question in the past I clicked on it. Found myself laughing out loud at some of them, and thought I'd share. Click on the link below to see the whole article, but here are a few suggestions.

Make your point with an extreme example
"Tell them, ’I look at marriage as an old-fashioned, patrician, indentured-slave practice that imprisons people in a backbreaking, emotionally bereft sinkhole.’”-Mike O’Malley, star of the CBS series Yes, Dear

Make them wish they hadn’t asked
“Try, ‘Because the doctor tells me that I get enough nagging from my mom.’ ‘Because a couple of years ago I got a great deal on a 50 pound box of condoms, and I want to get my money’s worth.’ ‘One thing at a time. Let me get the sex change first.’ ‘Have you seen me naked?’”-Brian McCann, writer for Late Night with Conan O’Brien

Shrug it off with a snappy comeback
‘I guess it just goes to prove that you can’t trust those voodoo-doll rituals.’”-Linda Sunshine, author of Women Who Date Too Much…And Those Who Should Be So Lucky

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.as...nuid=7&GT1=7350

P.S. Last week in liturgy class we were practicing the marriage rite, so I got to get "married" to another classmate while a 3rd classmate practiced officiating. However we ran out of time just as we got to the rings and had to leave for our next class.

So next time I get asked this question, maybe I can just tell people I was left at the altar. >;D *grin*

They might think twice about asking someone that question again. Heheheh!

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

Thanks for hanging out at my blog today. It's very nice to meet you. This post just reached right up and grabbed me as I am a single 45 yr. old and I get this stupid question ALL THE TIME. Either that or they just look at me and wonder if I'm - you know.

So we all don't want to get married and have babies. God does call some of us to do other things. You evidently got a DIRECT call...me, I'm just on his party line. Anyway, good to meet you!