Tuesday, November 22, 2005

GOEs in 6 weeks

So... General Ordination Exams are in 6 weeks. For more info on it and questions from past years see here:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/1521_10705_ENG_HTM.htm

Yesterday we got the official letter in the mail from the Board of Examining Chaplains about the exams. So... now it's real. Eek!

We will be testing January 3 - 6th. Because of the way the calendar fell, we will not get a full day off in between like most years do (and the next couple years get 2 days off in the middle because of the weekend). Instead, we will not have a full-day question that they usually have. We will get a half-day question and then get a half-day off.

Here's the break down: First Q: 9:00-12:30pm, and Second Q: 1:30-5:00pm

Tues Jan 3rd
Set 1: Christian Theology - Open Book
Set 2: Liturgy and Church Music - Limited Resources (Bible, BCP, BOS, EOW I & II, Hymnal 1982, LEV, WLP, Voices Found, The Rite Stuff)

Weds Jan 4th
Set 3: Church History - Open Book
Set 4: Contemporary Society - Limited Resources (Bible)

Thurs Jan 5th
Set 5: Holy Scripture - Limited Resources (annotated non-electronic one-volume Bible, a concordance, Hymnal 1982, WLP, LEV, BCP)

Friday Jan 6th
Set 6: Christian Ethics and Moral Theology - Closed Book
Set 7: Theory and Practice of Ministry - Closed Book

My classmate/downstairs neighbor and I were speculating on the Bible question. They are giving us a BCP and music resources, so we're wondering if it will involve planning a service. Or it could be something about how scripture gets used and paraphrased in our music? Not sure. We were pretty surprised that Ethics is completely closed book. Wild. Guess what I will be studying over Christmas? The resources allowed for the other sets were pretty much in line with what I expected.

Currently I'm glad I get liturgy and music on the first day and ethics on the last day. Whether I continue to feel that way remains to be seen.

~~bythesea

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Welcome to blogger! I love desk pictures. LOL