Anyone who is a graduate student/seminarian and living in a small apartment probably deals with time management and space issues. However, I have constantly struggled with these. It is especially bad at the end of the semester, or in the middle of working on big projects when I'm more likely to give priority to school and put off mundane/routine things like house chores.
Spring 2004 I first started suspecting ADD might be an explanation after overhearing a conversation between two people with ADD that hit close to home. Fall 2004 I did some reading and research and still struggled. April 2005 when I was struggling to complete assignments I went to see a specialist who I've been working with since. I can't change overnight, but pursuing this has been helpful. Now I understand more about what's going on with me, ways that I work, and have some strategies to get things done, instead of ending up frustrated and stressed out. Don't get me wrong, I still wrestle with things and occasionally am stressed or anxious, but not like last year. Definite progress.
To better understand my world, see other entries/photos posted today.
Some Books on ADD:
"Driven to Distraction" by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey
"You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!" by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo
"Women With Attention Deficit Disorder" by Sari Solden
"Attention Deficit Disorder: The unfocused mind in children and adults" by Thomas E. Brown
Some Websites on ADD:
http://www.addresources.org/newsletter_sample.php#journey
http://www.addresources.org/article_adults.php
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/about
http://www.drthomasebrown.com/brown_model/index.html
http://www.hallowellwest.com/wst_page6.html
http://www.addvance.com/
http://www.chadd.org/fs/fs10.htm
http://www.chadd.org/
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/89/100391.htm?z=1623_00000_0000_rl_01
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/89/100385
No comments:
Post a Comment