
I ran across an incredible continuing education opportunity, and the timing couldn't have been better. At the point where I'm transitioning from preaching about one Sunday a month to every week, I was able to attend the 16th Annual Festival of Homiletics in Minneapolis from May 19 to 23. http://www.goodpreacher.com Approximately 2,100 preachers from all different denominations worshipping, learning, singing and laughing together all week. After the first night's worship, sermon, and lecture I decided that even if somehow the rest of the week was horrible (which I doubted it could be), the trip was already worth it.
The week was AMAZING! Not only was it lots of great information and getting to see good preaching modeled, I was fed by it spiritually. The worship was great, incorporating a lot of different music. Most surprising, although I suppose it shouldn't have been, was how great it was to be on the *receiving* end of the gospel, having the gospel work on me from the outside in - so to speak, rather than the inside out as a preacher. Also fun was the way that lecturers and preachers knew their audience - they were preaching to the choir, so they brought in things we found ourselves nodding in agreement with, and at times roaring with laughter at ourselves and their observations.
I have a picture of me greeting Walter Brueggeman. Not only did he have us all sing "Love Divine All Loves Excelling" before a very good lecture, he had such a nice presence that I found myself tempted to just hug him... but I held back. *grin* I also got to meet and talk briefly to Bishop Micheal Curry of North Carolina, Rev. Barbara Brown Taylor - a well known author, and Nora Gallagher another Episcopal author and lay preacher both of whom gave great advice on creative writing and sermon writing.
I sat in the balcony for a few of the lectures. Being short, I could see better from up there. My roommate was a United Methodist minister from Texas. She was great, we had a lot of fun getting to know each other. Also ran into 2 other seminary alumni who were in the year behind me at seminary. Good to see familiar faces and catch up a bit.

I met up with a group of women bloggers I know one night, known as the "revgals". That was a lot of fun.

Another night while out I tried my first Martini ever, a Maggietini, it had some peach schnaaps and a citrus vodka. I like peach, I like citrus, and it comes in a cool glass. I decided to try one. I'm not a big drinker, a glass of wine (and sweet wine at that usually a Riesling or White Zinfandel) or a margarita on the rocks with salt on occasion. When the Martini came I remembered something. I don't particularly like the taste of vodka or any hard liquor for that matter. That's the last time I order something that sounds "peachy" just because it comes in a cool glass. On the other hand I guess you could say I tried something new. :)

Central Lutheran, downtown Minneapolis where much of the conference was held was gorgeous and just huge! The balcony, which was not only in the back of the church but also on each side.

Central Lutheran's chancel and altar area, with choir seating in the back.

Westminster Presbyterian also downtown and just up the street from the hotel I stayed at also was huge and had a gorgeous worship space.



While in Minneapolis, since I lived there 11 years ago and didn't know when I might ever make it back, I rented a car to drive to the airport on my last day in town since it was just a little more than a cab. I drove myself to (and was amazed I actually found) all three places I lived during my 4 years in Minneapolis, and also past the building on the U of M campus where the Communication's department was. It was interesting to revisit the past and take a trip down memory lane. Also interesting to see both how things haven't changed in some ways, and other ways in which they had.
Below is the last place I lived in Minneapolis, the duplex on Penn Ave. South, just south of Lake Harriet, near 54th Street. The kittycats' first home. All in all a great trip - I was glad I went.

1 comment:
Your pictures turned out better than the ones I posted. :-) I was afraid to try to snap one of that beautiful dome.
The FOH was a tremendous blessing! I came back totally "give out" as my Texas mama used to say.
Post a Comment