Saturday, September 13, 2008

A painful week :P

I know that I'm not mourning the loss of loved ones during 9/11 events and I'm not having to evacuate and possibly return to loss/damaged home and belongings ravaged by hurricane winds and rain, but my week has not been a fun one.

Sunday I noticed a swelling in a place there shouldn't be. By Monday this hadn't changed at all and perhaps seemed worse, so I ended up in the ER. Doctor there says she thinks it's a Bartholin Cyst (a blockage/infection/abcess of the Bartholin's gland), but that the time isn't right to drain it. Follow up with your doctor within a few days. Put me on antibiotics, painkillers, and said to use warm compresses. I never even knew this gland existed and have never heard of this condition, but apparently it's something women get on occasion and nobody really knows what causes the blockage or how to prevent it from happening. This gland, by the way is in our private area, so the result is tenderness, pain, and problems sitting and walking (depending on how bad it gets).

There were times the pain was so uncomfortable I was on the verge of tears, but other times when the painkillers were working or I was sitting just right that it was relatively okay. Needless to say the pain, discomfort, and trying to take care of it and get better kept me from getting much of any work done all week. I couldn't get in to see anyone on Wednesday but got an appointment on Thursday to follow up with my doctor. She took a look at it and decided it wasn't something she wanted to handle in the office and sent me back to the ER *grumble*. I guess I don't blame her, the thing was approaching golf-ball size. So back to the ER I went. After 6 hours of mostly waiting around (did have a TV so watched some things on the Food Network to keep myself occupied), and some treatment (finally!), I finally had some relief and seemed to be on the mend.

Friday had an follow-up appointment and this doctor wanted to see me again this coming Monday. The only small glitch is the packing that was supposed to stay in the wound until Monday has decided to come out. I'm so sick of doctors and have already been in the ER twice this week that I'm not sure what to do. I may just place a phonecall to one of the doctors and ask them what they recommend I do. From what I read on the internet to recover completely can take up to about 4 weeks and I may need to get a little catheter put into the gland that would be removed after several weeks.

In the meantime I remain on the mend with my antibiotics, painkillers if I need them, my sitzbath tub, couchsurfing, and of course a blanket and my 2 kitties to keep me company.

I've definitely had better weeks, that's for sure. But I am thankful for the caring people that helped get me to and from the doctor when I don't have family nearby to help.

1 comment:

1-4 Grace said...

Many thougths for continued healing. Couch therapy with the kittehs sounds good to me.
And you honsetly can' go wrong with FoodNetwork...unless of course you go to Gamshow Network to watch reruns of Match Game, Pyramid, and To tell the Truth.
Such fun!
Be well...