So while I am happy, excited, elated about my new position and look forward to getting to do full-time ministry, there is a little bit of anxiety or an unknown/uncertain quality to all this. I no longer have to worry about finding a position, I have one, and I'm going to be expected to actually do it. Time to put my money where my mouth is.
Logically I know we've been prepared, and I have been hearing about what my classmates have been up to for 6 weeks, and while they've had some ups and downs they are out there doing ministry. A couple are even priests now. So clearly it can be done, I can do it. But I've never had a full-time job of this nature or been able to do ministry full time before. I know what it's like to be a graduate student and juggle in some time at the parish and with parishioners, but I don't know what it really looks and feels like to be doing it 40+ hours per week with a somewhat irregular schedule (some nights for worship or classes or meetings, some Saturdays for weddings, etc), not to mention being available for pastoral emergencies. I've never actually shadowed a priest for a whole week so I don't know how their days or weeks unfold.
I know that part of it will depend on the week, the month, the time of year we are in on our church calendar. Part of it will be driven by responsibilities I'm given in the parish - which classes am I teaching, which services will I be at, when am I preaching, etc.
So there's not really a worry about my ability to do it so much as how do you begin? I'm thinking you just have to jump in there and soon it should become clearer and evolve. I'm thinking it would be a good idea at first to take some time to get to know various individuals and groups in the parish and what they do, and also let them get to know me some and begin to get more comfortable with me.
Right now what the reality of it is really going to be like is a little fuzzy and uncertain, but I'm thinking there's probably a pretty steep learning curve. Being extroverted should help. Jumping into a whole new community with lots of new people to meet might be difficult and more draining on an introvert, but I'm thinking I'm going to love it.
1 comment:
Congratulations on your position and ordination.
All will be well. One day at a time is a cliche but also true. God will give you what you need when you need it to do what you need to do.
Post a Comment