Well I pulled another all-nighter last night trying to get all the details of the trip figured out. Blah! The good news is that I finally have it about as well planned as it can be now with hotel reservations etc. Whether all goes according to plan or we decide to make a change part-way in, who knows. But for now there is a plan. My sister is no longer asking me for details and it feels good to have a structure and schedule to try and frame things. Hopefully now I can relax and enjoy the trip after putting so much time and energy into it.
I tell you what, it has taken so much mental energy trying to figure out the inns and outs and trying to figure out what I want to do, and how much you can fit in and how to try and get from point A to point B, that right now I feel like it's going to take at least one other trip to Europe to make it all worth it. But after the actual trip I will probably feel it was worth the time and energy.
My friend "M" who is getting married, and that is the catalyst for making this trip, was saying yesterday that now through him I will have a connection to France/Europe. So that might make taking another trip easier if I have his in-laws as a contact. He also asked me to do a "big favor." They need an English-speaker to help "MC"/make announcements at the reception etc. Orfinally they had someone who spoke both French and English who was going to do it, but she can't come. So I said sure. I'm honored that he asked. I was thinking that I've never done anything like that before, and it may seem a little awkward. But then I realized that as the priest I'm kind of the MC for our services... keeping us on track and letting folks know where we are and what's happening next etc.
Anyway, I have less than 48 hours until I leave for the airport. I did take a nap for about 2-3 hours a while ago and I'm feeling better. I still need to pack, and clean up my house that looks like a pit, and finish figuring out my sermon, and write a newsletter article, and other misc. odds and ends. But I plan to not stay up late a 3rd night in a row. Tonight I have got to get some sleep, even if I get up early. I can't end up in Paris and be trying to wander and train hop around Europe all sick and feeling like something the cat dragged in.
So I'd better run and get to some of it. The problem is there's so much to do I feel a little overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. I've thought of calling someone to come help, but problems with that are: 1) I'd be embarassed for someone to see what things look like right now, and 2) I'm not sure what someone else could do right now. I think there are certain things I need to get done or get started, or think through what actually needs to be done before trying to get someone else to help. If it was a big pile of laundry I could suck up the fact that I let it get away from me and ask for help, but since I'm still somewhat in boxes, a lot of it has to do with getting things organized or out of the way, and I kind of need to know where things are.
Okay, really going to run for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment