I ran across a post where someone has been Reading the book "Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith" by Rob Bell (I have this book, I'm still trying to make time to finish it). As a bishop election approached something they read in this book shaped a question they wanted to ask the bishop candidates. Quoted text is from Velvet Elvis and the question went like this:
"Several of us dream of starting "new kinds of communities that put the love of God and the brilliance of Jesus on display in honest, compelling ways." We dream of churches that lack pretense and possess passion, churches that make traditional Episcopalians nervous. As bishop, how would you support and encourage this kind of risky, creative work?"
The person got some kind of an answer, but didn't really have the time to ask the question in the way envisioned for and did not get as complete and answer as hoped for. The question got me thinking. I posted the following:
"Great question! Sorry you didn't really get to ask it or have it answered in the way originally envisioned. I love Rob Bell's Nooma videos. Nooma
I think we all could be asking ourselves this same question. As a layperson, deacon, priest, or bishop how am I helping put the love of God and brilliance of Jesus on display in honest and compelling ways (or how might I)?. How am I supporting and encouraging a faith community that lacks pretense and has passion (or how could I)? Definitely gives one something to mull over. Glad you posted about it."
I think I just ran across this last night. So I'm still thinking about how can I help put the love of God and the brilliance of Jesus on display in compelling ways, and how does one continue to keep passion for God and things spiritual alive and renewed in a faith community? I think it's something I'll be (or *should* be) asking myself continually in my ministry. I think the answers will change based on context - parish, city, world/current events and the people involved, as well as my own interests and where my energies & passion happen to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment