More thoughts on slowing down.
So, what am I doing (and what are *you* doing) to slow down and how might this work in a parish?
I've recognized a need for slowing down, or being intentional about setting some priorities or making time for things in my own life. I think part of talking to others about this and encouraging them to do it is to be making attempts at it in our own lives. As I have begun my new call I've tried to be better about my Sabbath day. It's not just a "day off." It has a purpose, that purpose is rest and refreshment, a time to nurture body and soul.
A new rule is I'm not allowed to work on my sermon on my Sabbath (although if thoughts occur to me that are just too good I will probably jot them down). Hopefully sermons will be done the day before my Sabbath, but if not I will have to wait to wrap it up til Saturday. If the sermon happens to not be done I know it's going to be very tempting, I'm going to want to justify just working on it for a little bit to just have it finished (I know because I've done it in the past), but that defeats the purpose of Sabbath. Sabbath is supposed to be a day devoted to something other than work. I may slip, or cave in, but I plan to keep working on the practice of Sabbath. I have done things on my Sabbath so far such as spend all day painting, go to lunch and bowling with a couple other priests, and sleep in and watch some movies.
I've also decided to institute a "study day" which is encouraged by our bishop. A day to read that growing stack of books on my nightstand, do exegesis, a day also to pray more deeply and to reflect - and it is to be considered a "working" day, not your Sabbath or Saturday. I think if I can do my best to hold to the Sabbath and study days it will be a start. Already I feel more balanced and healthy.
How some of this crosses over to parish life, the diocese, or the national church I’m not sure, but I’m interested in exploring that. Perhaps a start is to hold and encourage others to attend retreats and quiet days, to intentionally set apart some time to slow down and rest. Perhaps another is to build periods of quiet and silence into liturgy, and slowing down how we say our prayers, so it doesn't seem like we're rushing through worship to be done in exactly one hour and be on to our next thing. That's tough to do as a liturgical leader when you have the pressure of parishioners making comments about the service running a little long. What *is* long and when did the norm become 1 hour? There are places in Africa where church is indefinite, they sing and pray for hours. I too am a product of our culture, which makes me wonder, why don't we? Why do we sometimes attend church like we're punching a time clock? How might we change some of these things that are so ingrained?
Thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment