When I was little, Raggedy Ann was popular. We all seemed to have one. Well kind of. I have entirely no idea how I ended up with a Raggedy Ann that was different and not really Raggedy Ann. Where it came from or who bought it, I don't know. But somehow as a white child I ended up with a Raggedy Ann that was black.
We called her Aunt Jemimah because she looked like the syrup lady. I liked my doll, I played with her, and I still have her. She's on a shelf in my new apartment. I think I recognized that my doll was different one day. But I didn't throw a fit because she was brown. I was upset that my Raggedy Ann didn't have hair. You see as a Mammy doll she just had this red head scarf. So my mom decided to appease me and give my doll some hair. Went and found some yarn and somehow sewed it to the top of her head under the head scarf and gave it back to me. And I was happy. Now my doll had hair like the other dolls.
So now I have a Raggedy Ann type doll that is truly unique, not only is she a black Mammy rag doll, but she also has light blue hair. Truly cutting edge and ahead of her time for the early 1970's. :) I know doll collectors probably cringe at the thought, but somehow she makes me smile. Maybe it's memories of playing dolls with my sister and our neighbor and one of my best friends, not sure.
The topic of her came up when I was home a few weeks ago. Somehow today I stumbled across some info about here. As far as I can tell, it seems that she is a Knickerbocker "Beloved Belindy" doll, a doll that was created as a Mammy to Raggedy Ann and Andy, and also stemming from some books.
Maybe these links will work. I might post a photo of her too.
Ebay Beloved Belindy
Upclose view of Beloved Belindy
No comments:
Post a Comment